Thursday, January 05, 2006

Favorite Song of the Week: Joaquina - Child Star


I dont' know much about California; I know even less about the San Joaquin valley (home of the band Joaquina). But growing up in Wisconsin I know about farms, lazy summer evenings, underage drinking, strip malls and dreams of getting out of a small town.

That's what Joaquina is for me. They sing songs that have a definite "when we were kids" sort of feeling. When I listen to The Foam And The Mesh I remember bribing older kids to buy me beer, smoking my first cigarette, driving around with my friends on hot summer nights just to burn time, crappy jobs I had in highschool and teenage heartache. Underneath the y'allternative twang, you can hear the dream of something better; pining for a bigger life. That's why I love Joaquina.

Imagine yourself barefoot, sitting on a porch on a hot and dry summer night drinking a cold beer. Once you have that, listen to my favorite song of the week.

Listen: Joaquina - Child Star mp3

If I did my little research correctly, I believe the bass player of Joaquina runs Future Farmer Records - Joaquina's label. Unfortunately it seems they only had one release back in '98. The whole thing is great. Buy it here, or find it here.

*** Favorite Song Last Week: Machine Go Boom - Hot Potato ***

1 Comments:

At 1/10/2006 3:50 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Whoa, another Wisconsinite blogger. Word. Great blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home